Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Didn't they teach you anything, except how to be cruel, in that charm school?


First, anyone who knows what song this week's title comes from wins something, don't know what yet.

I was just looking for a song with "school" in it, and that's the first one that comes to mind, because on Tuesday, I finished school (mostly. Still have an exam on Thursday). I'll try to avoid getting too schmaltzy or predictable, but it still feels weird to be a real world person.

This past weekend UMBRC organized the Orchard Assault XC race. The weatherman was way off for much of the day, as the climate was downright schizophrenic. Kim brought her dogs, which were christened Hank and Robert.

It was misting all morning, followed by rain, followed by big humidity, then big heat, then nice, then thunderstorms. It made for a slippery course, and my rear tire, which is designed for the dry, didn't hook up very well. This meant a pretty low placing for me (this being my second MTB ride of the season didn't help either) but it was fun.

Tim Durrin (Cap'n Jeremy's brother) won the 3 race, his first MTB race ever, and Jeff Cronin took 2nd.

Our own Sean Kennedy won the 2 race in very convincing fashion, arms aloft across the line.

Thom Parsons, Mike Bartlett, Jeff Elie, Tom Sampson, and a whole slew of other superstars brought the fire to the 1 and Pro races.
Good times were had by all, and the turnout was pretty impressive, especially given the weather. Thanks to everyone who came out. While we were all out XCin, Bryan did a sweet backflip.

Seth finally came out to see the house (a week before I move out, natch), but it was good timing, because he had came just in time for the UMBRC after party. It was a fun night of music, can/bottle towers, chips, and a-a-aaa-aaa-alcohol. The next day I worked in the library from 11 am to midnight, which makes it the weekend I figure I should have been having every week at Umass. Oh well.

Jesse and the UVM/Mt. Holyoke kids couldn't make it, so it was a largely Umass affair, but we had laughs nonetheless. Bikeregger Jeff Elie and Jenna came over, as well as alums AW and Duggan, and even bike-coopers Brian, Marisa and Miguel popped in for a bit.

Some other stuff happened this week. There was a showing of the animation classes' work, which was fun, and I got to meet one of the people working on Jet Set Zero which is a great concept with super stylish production. Check it out.

Finally, I saw the most unimaginable thing in a parking lot near the ROTC building....It's Duster! An honest to god Plymouth Duster, in period correct cocaine white, no less. I have to assume it appeared there because of last week's blogpost, I didn't know I held such power...

Mindful of that, this week's video is Top Gear's Audi R8 review.



There. Maybe now it will appear.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work with the race, the finishing of the school, and the capturing in a photo the double-jointedness of my elbows.

    -t

    ReplyDelete