Monday, January 12, 2009

I am with photo taking ability!

So the day after I wrote my last post, I got my new camera in the mail and I'm really enjoying it. First I played with the macro mode for a while, because macro makes everything cool

Here's some salad and a bicycle

Then, as I promised I would, I took a picture of the newest evolution of my mongrel dinosaur commuter bike.

It was born on a sunny day in 1983 somewhere in Taiwan, not knowing then what would become of it in its international travels. Currently known as Boda-Boda spéciale presented by the Thom Parsons project, I rescued it from dumpsterdoom and equipped it to take all hell than could be thrown its way.

The first thing I put on was a pair of Bontrager Hank 2.25 slicks, which necessitated cutting off the spare spoke holder on the chainstay. No worries, where we're going, we don't need spokes. Or something.

The next step was a rack capable of general immensness, and I found this Axiom Journey which is officially rated to hold 154lbs, by which I assume they mean 200lbs. A couple of eBayed white Odyssey frame standers later, I had a dead serious bike on my hands. It just needed one more thing... Booya!

That's right, eagle-eyed reader, it's the seat from a 1984 Tomos 50cc motorbike.

While it already fit surprisingly well, a means of attachment had to be devised to prevent seat theft, or passenger ejection.

Working with Thom, I hobbled together a bracket using training wheel parts, an old tire, and a whole lot of love.

On the whole, I am very pleased with how BBSTPS MkIII Evo came out, and to celebrate its revision, Thom picked it up. Sadly, at this point the bike at this weighed over 400 pounds and Thom was crushed.

In other news, a serendipidous combination of Finnmeister's charming rendition of Danzig's Mother and a video from Highland Mountain Bike Park that Bryan was watching inspired me to make this, Enjoy:





This is for you, Bryan!

2 comments:

  1. Was I crushed physically or emotionally? I can't remember.

    Physically because I used up the last ounce of my meager upper body strength power-lifting the 400 Lb. bike over my head (PCP is a wonderful drug) only to let it drop and crush me to death.

    Or was it that I had been waiting eagerly all day, watching you assemble this thing of beauty,
    crouching in the corner with my gram scale and my crack pipe, hoping with all my might that the finished bike would weigh in under 14 Lbs. When it didn't (by a landslide) I was crushed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous20:53

    Thanks for ruining Danzig. Hope yer happy.

    ReplyDelete